Forum Discussion

3 months ago

payroll end of financial year correction July 23 has been included in the 22 -23 fy for some employee

I FINALISED 2022-2023 YEAR AND IT WAS ALL CORRECT THEN I DID THE JULY PAYS WHICH INCLUDES EMPLOYEES WHO WERE PAID FOR THE PAY PERIOD 12 JUNE TO 9 JULY BUT THE PAY DATE IS 15 JULY.

NOW THE GROUP CERTIFICATES, TAX PORTAL INFORMATION FOR THESE EMPLOYEES SHOWS THE JULY PAY IN THE TOTALS. (MEANING THEY GOT 13 MONTHS IN THEIR 22-23 YEAR TOTALS INSTEAD OF THE 12 MONTHS THAT THEY WERE ACTUALLY PAID FOR ( I PAY MONTHLY ON THE 15TH) THE JULY TOTAL WAS ALSO SHOWING UP IN THEIR 23-24 FY TOTALS. THE ATO SAID IT WAS A TIMESTAMPING ISSUE AND TO CONTACT MY SOFTWARE PROVIDER TO SHOW HOW TO CORRECT THIS AS FOR THE ATO TO ACCELORATE WOULD TAKE MONTHS FOR IT TO BE RESOLVED.  MYOB WERE NOT HELPFUL AT ALL FOR MY 2 HOURS CONVERSATION.  I HAVE NOW REVERSED THE OFFENDING PAYS BUT WHILST IT IS SHOWING AS BEING ACCEPTED IN THE REPORTING AREA, IT HASN'T UPDATED THE GROSS AND TAX TO REFLECT THE CORRECT AMOUNTS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS ON THIS?

3 Replies

Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Melody4,

Welcome to the Community Forum. 

Thank you for your update. It appears that the changes made may not have been reflected by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) yet. To ensure accuracy, I recommend conducting a thorough review using the 'Payroll Activity' report and comparing it with the 'Register Summary' report.

Here's how you can proceed:

1. Payroll Activity Report: This report gathers information from the pay runs that were entered. Review this report to verify the payroll activity and ensure that all relevant data has been accurately recorded.
    2. Register Summary Report: The 'Register Summary' report draws from the card file and Single Touch Payroll (STP) data from the register report. Compare the information in this report with the data in the 'Payroll Activity' report to identify any discrepancies.
    3. Payroll Register and YTD Verification: Additionally, consider reviewing the 'Payroll Register' and 'YTD Verification' reports to cross-reference the information and ensure consistency across all reports.

By comparing these reports, you could verify if the changes made have been accurately reflected in your ledger. If all three reports align, it's less likely that you'll encounter any further issues. However, if discrepancies persist, further investigation may be necessary to address any discrepancies and ensure compliance with ATO requirements.

If you need further assistance or have any questions during this process, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help ensure accuracy and compliance with your payroll reporting requirements.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Thanks,

Genreve

Melody4
      User

The ATO told me it may have been a time stamping issue and whilst they could escalate the problem and sometime a long time in the future, fix it, it would be better if I spoke to my software provider and they would help me fix it.  I spent 2 hours on the phone to techical support to get absolutely no solution. at one point they told me i should just wait until the end of this financial year and see what happened. obviously for my staff that was not going to be an option as the July 23 pay was showing in their gross for the 22-23 year as well as the 23-24 year and was completley incorrect. In the end I unfinalised the 23 year, reversed the July 23 pay, did a 30 June 23 pay for exactly the same amount only as a negative, this made the figures correct for the 22-23 year so I could then finalise that year and then I did a new July 23 pay only used the pay period from 1 - 9 July  rather thatn the 12th June to the 9th July with the pay date of 15th July. This seems to have corrected the issue for each employee affected. The MYOB tech staff did not seem to realise that a month's pay included into a financial year, so 13 months instead of 12 was going to create a tax implication for a lot of people and throw them into a different tax threshold and that as the July pay was showing in both financial years this would be a problem again at the end of this financial year. The tech support did not seem to understand tax or payroll at all!

Shella_A
        MYOB Moderator

Hi Melody4,

Thank you for the response.

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've experienced with the payroll issue. We're glad to know that you've managed to find a workaround by adjusting the pay periods and finalizing the correct financial year. This is indeed a valid approach to correcting the issue. In terms of the technical support's understanding of tax and payroll, I understand your concerns. I'll make sure to pass this feedback on to the relevant team.

If you encounter any more issues or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. You may also reach out using our online help MOCA to ask questions anytime you need help.

Kind regards,

Shella