Forum Discussion

2 months ago
Solved

Manually allocating costs to different divisions

Can someone tell me how I can manually allocate part or whole of an invoice to different divisions, please?

As an example

If I purchase marketing material that is shared between two separate division, i.e. in-house sales and take-out sales, how can I allocate part of the cost to each division? It is not always the same ratio that it will be split, which means I cannot automate it.

Same with labour cost. I'd like to allocate part of an employee's labour to in-house and part to take-out. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you

• Hi MichaelaH,

Thank you for your response.

To allocate costs further within your divisions, you can add a new line item to another expense account. If there is no option for the specific expense account you need, you can create a new account from the chart of accounts. Kindly refer to this Help article, Adding, Editing, and Deleting Accounts. 

It's important to consult with your accountant when creating or adding an account for cost allocation. They can provide valuable advice to ensure the account is set up correctly and aligns with your financial reporting needs.

Feel free to create a new post again if you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

3 Replies

Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi MichaelaH

Welcome to the Community Forum.

I regret the delay in my response. Typically, the most effective method to divide and assign expenses into various sections is by establishing distinct ledger account codes for them in your chart of accounts. If these accounts are already in place, you can manually code the amount to the respective codes. For instance, refer to this screenshot of the spend money window.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need more help with this.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Thanks,
    Genreve

MichaelaH
      User

Thank you for your response. I was hoping to allocate it even further. Let's take the $1300 in Marketing from your screenshot. I would like 30% of that allocated to In-house sales and the remaining 70% allocated to take-out sales. Is that possible?

• Hi MichaelaH,

Thank you for your response.

To allocate costs further within your divisions, you can add a new line item to another expense account. If there is no option for the specific expense account you need, you can create a new account from the chart of accounts. Kindly refer to this Help article, Adding, Editing, and Deleting Accounts. 

It's important to consult with your accountant when creating or adding an account for cost allocation. They can provide valuable advice to ensure the account is set up correctly and aligns with your financial reporting needs.

Feel free to create a new post again if you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess