Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Initialisation Error when opening AccountRight v16 Company Files

Hello All,

I am receiving an 'Initialisation Error' when opening MYOB company files in AccountRight v16. I have already tried the following fix in this link with no luck: 

https://community.myob.com/t5/Other-MYOB-software/Initialisation-error-when-running-MYOB-AccountRight-Classic-on/td-p/761050

This is installed on Server 2019 and I have tested this on a Server 2016 and a Windows 10 machine with the same exact error. Is this a widespread issue?

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Celia_B
    MYOB Moderator

Hi chrisCTG 

Thanks for your post and Welcome to the Community Forum.

Generally speaking, an Initialization error means that something hasn’t started in the background, often these can be related to the Windows registry. As such simply uninstalling and reinstalling doesn’t always solve the issue.

Instead, I'd recommend uninstalling AccountRight first. Once uninstalled you will need to delete or rename the program folder on your computer, as well as run the registry cleaner to remove the registry entries for AccountRight. You can locate the AccountRight registry cleaner on our Help Article Fixing Issues uninstalling AccountRight v19. 

Note that you need to ensure that your computer meets the system requirements for your version. It's also worth disabling any antivirus that you have on your computer when reinstalling AccountRight. 

Let me know if you require any further assistance with this. I'm happy to assist you.

If my response has answered your inquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers, 

Cel

Rakesh1
      Contributing User

I am using old accounting package v16 on Windows 11. After upgrading AVG Antivirus, suddenly I have thie error. I have unistalled it twice and then reinstaled v16. But the 'initialising error' does not go away. Please help I need to prepare Jul-Sept 23 BAS.

Celia_B
        MYOB Moderator

Hi Rakesh1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge. 

I understand that you receive an initialization error. This error means that something has not started in the background often these can be related to the Windows registry.  Note that you need to ensure that your computer meets the system requirements for your version. It is also worth disabling any antivirus that you have on your computer when reinstalling AccountRight. You can also try these steps to fix the issue.

• Open the System Properties control panel applet
        • Go to Advanced tab and click on Settings >> under Performance.
        • Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab, click Add and navigate to "Myobp.exe" wherever you installed - AccountRight
        • Click OK,

If you need further assistance with this, please feel free to post again. We are happy to assist you. 

If my response has answered your enquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Thanks, 

Cel

• Hi Rakesh1 

I just wanted to check when you tried the below solution, that you definitely had the correct executable file for your version of MYOB? I have multiple versions on my system and have renamed the versions to MYOB16.exe, MYOB17.exe, etc to distinguish between these. Plus these helps stop the Blocked App error by Windows as well. Keep persisting as you should be able to get v16 working on Windows 11, same as Windows 10.

Cheers

Liz

majubawest@hotmail.com

PS - contact me via email if you still can't get it to work as I may have other suggestions.

There's an old post from 2019 that explains the issue, but essentially when installing MYOB AccountRight Premier Classic on Server 2019, you'd get an "Initialisation error" when opening any MYOB files. The same configuration on Windows Server 2016 seemed to work, however.

Here's how you fix that:

• Open the System Properties control panel applet (fastest method is right click Start > Run > type 'sysdm.cpl')
    • Go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings... under Performance.
    • Go to the Data Execution Prevention tab, click Add... and navigate to "Myobp.exe" wherever you installed AccountRight (my install is AccountRight Premier v19, so your executable file may have a different name).
    • Click OK, and watch in amazement as AccountRight can now open MYO files with ease.
      Rakesh1
      Contributing User

Hi Liz

Thank you. Yes I tried the 2019 post solution, but it did not work on two od our PC's. The problem is not Windows 11 on which everything was ok till we upgraded AVG Anti Virus from 1/10/23.

v16 still works on old stadby Lap we have where anti virus was not upgraded.

But I dont mind going into Account Right now if the file can be upgraded somehow. Only if I can get phone support I know it can be done, but no one in MYOB seems to help with that. Sad!

Liz_A
        Valued User

Hi Rakesh1 

I think you need to do a stepped upgrade as the AR2xxx will only upgrade from the last Legacy version being v19. This can be downloaded from https://www.myob.com/au/support/downloads?product=AccountRight+v19+Plus&page=1 (assuming Plus is your version). I expect you will need a subscription for this. FGH Tables may be able to sort your upgrade issues quickly for a reasonable price. Personally, unless you really need online services, I wouldn't do it but that's just my dislike of the lack of speed and unreliability of the newer versions. Plus the cost of course.

Cheers

Liz