Forum Discussion

sg9
Contributing User
11 months ago

Annual Leave Accrual Daily Rate Calculation

Hi there, could someone please tell me if I'm going crazy ... I've been reading and re-reading this help guide on the MYOB site, but for the life of me cannot get the same result they're getting.  I've even tried different calculators.  Am I completely missing something, or is this equation very wrong?

How do you calculate annual leave entitlements?

You calculate annual leave entitlements pro-rata based on an employee’s ordinary working hours.

For example, a full-time employee working a 38-hour week throughout the year accrues annual leave at the rate of 2.923 hours per completed week of service (152/52 = 2.923), which equals 0.7308 hours of annual leave per working day. 

Use the formula:

• 152 hours of annual leave ÷ 52 weeks = 2.923 hours

• 2.923 hours ÷ 5 days = 0.7308 hours per working day

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    sg9
    Contributing User

Hi Earl, thanks for the reply.  This is the bit I'm having a problem with:

If I divide 2.923 by 5, I don't get 0.7308; I get 0.5846.  If I divide 2.923 by 4, then yes, I get 0.7308, but not if I divide by 5 - unless I'm missing something?

Cheers

Earl_HD
      MYOB Moderator

Hi sg9,

My apologies for my miscalculation. If you want to ensure that the leave accruals are consistently 2.923 hours per pay period, regardless of the actual hours worked by employees in that period, you should choose the calculation basis as "equals hours per pay period." However, if you prefer your employees to accrue leave hours to be based on a percentage (7.6923%) of the gross hours they work in each pay period, then selecting the percentage calculation basis is the way to go.

Regards,
      Earl

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi sg9,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've been facing. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. Yes that is correct. In addition, calculating annual leave entitlements is typically done by following a pro-rata method based on an employee's ordinary working hours. Here's how you can calculate annual leave entitlements using the provided formula:

Step 1: Determine the Total Annual Leave Entitlement

Start with the total annual leave hours an employee is entitled to. In your example, this is 152 hours.

Step 2: Calculate the Weekly Entitlement

Divide the total annual leave hours by the number of weeks in a year, typically 52, to find the weekly entitlement:

152 hours of annual leave ÷ 52 weeks = 2.923 hours per week

Step 3: Calculate the Daily Entitlement

Divide the weekly entitlement by the number of working days in a week, typically 5, to find the daily entitlement:

2.923 hours ÷ 5 days = 0.7308 hours per working day

A full-time employee working a 38-hour week throughout the year accrues annual leave at the rate of 2.923 hours per completed week of service, which equals 0.7308 hours of annual leave per working day. This calculation ensures that leave entitlement is proportional to an employee's hours and length of service, as per your provided formula.

GC2023
      User

Heres your problem > 2.923 hours ÷ 5 days = 0.7308 hours per working day

Its Not !

2.923 / 5 = 0.5846 ! ! ! !

I would think this is a MAJOR FAIL for an Accountancy Application/Organization...

As seen on:
      https://www.myob.com/au/resources/guides/workforce-management/annual-leave

FYI - They manage to calculate the Part Time example correctly.

How do you calculate annual leave entitlements?

You calculate annual leave entitlements pro-rata based on an employee’s ordinary working hours.

For example, a full-time employee working a 38-hour week throughout the year accrues annual leave at the rate of 2.923 hours per completed week of service (152/52 = 2.923), which equals 0.7308 hours of annual leave per working day. 

Use the formula:

• 152 hours of annual leave ÷ 52 weeks = 2.923 hours

However, a part-time employee who works a 20-hour week (four hours a day, five days per week) for a whole year accrues annual leave at the rate of 1.538 hours per completed week of service (80/52 = 1.538), which equals 0.3076 hours of annual leave per working day. 

Use the formula:

• 80 hours of annual leave ÷ 52 weeks = 1.538 hours

• 1.538 hours ÷ 5 days = 0.3076 hours per working day

Princess_R
        MYOB Moderator

Hi @GC2023,

Thank you for your post. Please allow us to extend you a warm welcome to the Community forum. We hope you find it a valuable resource.

We apologize for the incorrect information and miscalculation provided in the MYOB article. We've checked this further, and it seems that this link is written by an external contributor. We've escalated this with the relevant team so they can change the calculation and update the information provided in that article.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. This article should be updated with the correct information as soon as possible. Once again, we're sorry for the inconvenience, and we thank you for your understanding.

Please feel free to create a new post if you need help in the future. We're more than happy to assist.

Cheers,

Princess