Forum Discussion

FarmNess
Contributing Cover User
2 years ago

error: one or more payroll categories cannot be deselected as they have been used on recorded timesheets

I need to unlink unused payroll categories from employees cards - how can this be done?

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • If I understand your question correctly, you'll have to go into the Payroll Category, choose Employee, and untick any employees linked to the unused Payroll Category. 

Capture.PNG

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi FarmNess 

Thank you for your post. I'd like to extend you a warm welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find it a valuable resource.

If you'll be unlinking a payroll categories in the Employee's card, this can be done by going to Card File >> card list >> select employee >> select payroll details >> untick the selected payroll categories >> select OK to save changes. Or go to Payroll >>Payroll categories >> select category >> select employee to open the list of employees and untick >> select okay to save changes.

However, it is not possible to unlink a payroll categories once it has been used in a timesheet. This is the reason why you are receiving the error message. If this is unused payroll categories, could you remove it in the timesheet. Once this is not included in the timesheet you can always go back to the employee's payroll details to unlink it.

Please feel free to post again I'm happy to assist.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

FarmNess
      Contributing Cover User

Hi Princess_R 

thanks for your reply.

However, I am looking for a workaround to this issue - these are payroll categories that have been used on a timesheet and payrun previously. 

The issue is, I have a number of employees whos payroll categories have changed over the years. For example, they were on junior pay rates, and now they are adults on a different pay rate. Or they have been promoted to higher levels etc.

This is a nightmare every pay fortnight, as the list of payroll categories for some employees is very long, even though most of them are legacy categories. They still appear as options, and it results in errors at pay time when the wrong category is accidently chosen. Even categories that havent been used for that employee for many years!

So, is there a workaround that means legacy payroll categories for employees will not appear as an option? 

Cheers

vidario1
        Trusted User

Hi

You can go to the employee card, Payroll Details -> Wages and untick the irrelevant payroll categories from there.

What I like to do with obsolete payroll categories is rename them as such: e.g.  "zDNUBase hourly 1st year Junior". The z will make sure it's listed last alphabetically and the DNU (Do Not Use) in capitals will make sure this category isn't mistakenly chosen. 

Hope that helps

vidario