Forum Discussion

MrsSwaino
Contributing User
14 days ago

Pay Super - Super Backpay

Hello,

I need to process super backpayments dating back 6 years, as super wasn't calculated on a certain payroll category. 

I am completing the SCG Statements for each quarter of each year, which are uploaded to the ATO online services portal and the super and additional fees are all paid directly to the ATO via bpay. I also need to enter the backpay of super payments into payruns, but this generates them into Pay Super (but they've already been paid to the ATO). Is there a way to avoid this please? Any suggestions?

Thanking you

Thank you

5 Replies

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi MrsSwaino,

Thank you for reaching out about the processing of super-back payments.

In addressing back payments of super spanning six years, particularly when they haven't been calculated within a specific payroll category, considering you're directly remitting the super and additional fees to the ATO via BPAY, it's not essential to process these payments through the Pay Super feature screen. Instead, you have the option to manually record super payments via Pay Liabilities. For further guidance on this process, please refer to the Help article: Paying payroll liabilities.

Feel free to post anytime you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

MrsSwaino
    Contributing User

Princess_RThanks so much for your reply. 

So am I correct in saying these super back payments all need to be entered and reported via a pay run, and then release (pay) the liabilities through the Pay Liabilities function? 

How would you suggest I handle the payruns for previous employees that are now marked inactive with a termination date entered on their file? To process their super back payments, would I need mark them active and delete their termination date, or is there another way around this?

Princess_R
      MYOB Moderator

Hi MrsSwaino,

Thanks for your response. 

You're correct in saying that super-back payments can be processed via the Pay Run and Pay Liabilities functions. However, it's always a good idea to consult with your accountant.

If super payments are showing under the Pay Super screen, it might be due to the setup of your superannuation fund. You might want to check if the box for "Pay directly from AccountRight" is ticked, as this could be generating super payments from the Pay Super screen. Before recording transactions, it's crucial to ensure the accuracy of your payroll reports and that they match with the ATO. This can help avoid any discrepancies or issues down the line.

As for your second inquiry about handling pay runs for inactive employees, you would need to undo the finalisation and remove the termination date to make the employee active again. However, please be aware that this should be done with caution and proper consideration, as it might affect other aspects of your payroll.

Feel free to post anytime you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Princess

MrsSwaino
        Contributing User

When it comes to entering these super back payments into MYOB, should these be done via a pay run, so it's reported via STP reporting? Or, because I am completing the SCG Statements, would this be "double" reporting?

Is there another way to enter this into MYOB, so I don't have to undo the finalisation/remove terminations etc for inactive employees?

Thank you