Forum Discussion

Lucky_Man
Experienced Cover User
11 months ago
Solved

STP 2 and locally stored files

I am not a deep user of MYOB and so I do not keep up with the terminology of MYOB.  So I am wondering if someone can help.

We came from the old MYOB days through Premier I thinnk it was and Version 19 and now run Accountright PC edition on client machines and SE on one server that holds a local company file and never used online files.

We have been running STP1 from this for some time.

We are keen that we retain our information onsite only as MYOB is not certified by our clients for holding data.

We do not normally use the web interface other than when you go to process payroll it brings up a Sign into MYOB in a web interface.

If I log into app.myob.com it comes up with "No Results Found" which is what I would expect.

So are we able to run STP Phase 2 without moving our file online?  If not it seems that is the end of using MYOB with data held locally - not just for us but everyone.  What would be the purpose of maintaing SE?

While we may be a a bit slow in setting up STP 2 it does not seem that MYOB has announced the end of locally held files as broadly and loudly as would be necessary - so I am guessing I have missed something.

• Hi Lucky_Man,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry for not being able to get back to you right away. I appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Regarding your inquiry, you can still use the stored local files on the server. Looking into your account, you have an AccountRight perpetual license, which means that you can use your file offline. However, you can't access live services such as STP, bank feeds, online invoice payments, etc.

We apologize if we haven't given you enough information or if we missed notifying you about these changes in STP2. We genuinely appreciate your understanding.

Please let me know if you require further assistance. I'm happy to help.

Cheers,

Princess

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Luckyman

I was just wondering if you got a response to your post re only being able to do STP2 online? I like you prefer to do my MYOB processing on my local file as it is much quicker given the internet speeds in the Australian bush. I have found however that if I try to process my payroll on my local file it does not open the STP screen after you hit the record button. It simply goes to the process payroll screen which says nothing has been processed. Very frustrating particularly given that MYOB Support has no answer for me as to why this happens other that to say I should do my payroll on my online version (which does work). There has been no notification from MYOB that payrol now must be processed online. Why have the payrol functionality in the local version if you cant use it? Hopefully Luckyman you have an answer?

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi FarmerBill  and Lucky_Man 

Last I heard there was no change to MYOB's policy of requiring company files to be online for STP Phase 2. Also (which may be related to one of your comments), if the file is registered for STP (that is you are prompted to sign into MYOB's Payroll Reporting Centre) and you cannot sign in (system down, subscription ended, no internet) payroll simply refuses to process. If wanting to process payroll without the need to 'sign in' to STP Reporting, you need to get the company file 'de-registered' from MYOB's STP Reporting. You can then go back to processing payroll offline. 

For those who cannot put their file online (or don't want to), take a look at a product called STP Creator. This was developed specifically for MYOB offline users. Once set up, it will read the payroll data from your offline company file and allow you to send it directly to the ATO. I am aware of a number of AR2023 users who have been using STP Creator as a single touch payroll solution. It also allows you to 'de-register' the company file from MYOB's Payroll Reporting Centre.

Regards

Gavin

Lucky_Man
        Experienced Cover User

No reply on this other than what is here.  I did some more research and this is how we tackled it for now.

I unregistered my STP1 registration of MYOB software through the ATO Access Manager (not to be confused with Relationship Authorisation Manager).  So we can still process payroll in MYOB - it tries to report and fails.  We then do the STP2 reporting with Single Touch Lite by filling in a spreadsheet manually from the MYOB report.  We screwed something up that we need to fix and people's income is showing the agregate of both systems - apparently we should have pout through an update event first.

My plan moving forward is to try STP Creator (reinforced by comments here which are appreciated).  In setting up Single Touch we have learned a lot about the categories and what should be in them so it was not a waste of time.  But Creator seems to be the way forward.

It has made us think that we need to migrate away from MYOB soon as their willingness to force posession of our data (ie online) without announcing it clearly and not giving us time to sort out a solution shows that we do not want to be dependent on them for too much going forward.  We do not know when an update may just arrive and the the whole local file support is over.  Just because it suits 95% of their customers does not mean it suits us - that is fine - but be clear and give us reasonable warning.

Thanks to those that replied.