Forum Discussion

3 years ago
Solved

Superannuation payment for new employees without membership number

I have two new employees who have nominated our default fund (AustralianSuper) for their contributions to be paid to for the quarter. They don't have a membership number as yet and the default fund advised me to put 'unknown' as their membership number and they will be contacted directly for the necessary paperwork to be completed. I'm now not able to process their payments and both employees are no longer with us. Looking for a solution!

• Hi JoanneCCP,

Thank you for your post. 

A valid membership number is a requirement for super payments to be processed through our clearing house (SuperChoice). I would advise getting in contact with these previous employees for this information as they need to supply this information if they wish to receive their contributions. 

I have not seen many cases like this, however, another member of this community may have been in a similar situation that could advise further. 

Do reach out if you have any further queries. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sam_R
    Former Staff

Hi JoanneCCP,

Thank you for your post. 

A valid membership number is a requirement for super payments to be processed through our clearing house (SuperChoice). I would advise getting in contact with these previous employees for this information as they need to supply this information if they wish to receive their contributions. 

I have not seen many cases like this, however, another member of this community may have been in a similar situation that could advise further. 

Do reach out if you have any further queries. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

• Thanks Sam, I changed their membership numbers to Unknown_1 and Unknown_2 and was able to process. As AustralianSuper advised me to use 'Unknown' as their interim membership number, I follow them up & advise accordingly and in the meantime will wait & see if their contributions are returned

Sam_R
        Former Staff

Hi JoanneCCP,

Great to hear, thanks for updating this post. 

Do reach out if there is anything else.