Forum Discussion

GriffAdmin
Experienced User
5 months ago
Solved

Working Holiday Maker - income from previous employer

We have a working holiday maker who earned an income before joining us, so he has now advised he should be charged tax at a higher threshhold. How do I record the income he earned with his previous employer so MYOB will work out the correct tax? Or what do I do to make sure he is not under-taxed?

Celia_B
    4 months ago

Hi GriffAdmin,

Thank you for getting back to us and providing an update. The working Holiday Makers tax table looks at the pay history of the employee to determine the gross amount paid and uses that in the calculation.

To assign a Working Holiday tax table;

• Go to the Card file command centre and click Card List. 
    • Click the employee tab
    • Click the zoom arrow to open the employee's card
    • Click the Payroll details tab 
    • Click Taxes tab 
    • Enter the employee Tax File Number. If they do not have one, they can apply for one and provide it to you. See this ATO information for all details. If the employee has not provided their TFN, depending on the reason you can use one of these TFNs provided the ATO.
    • In the tax table field, choose the applicable Working Holiday Maker tax table. If you're not sure which one to choose, check with the ATO. 
    • for the Income Type, choose Working holiday maker and choose the employee's country of origin 
    • Click OK. 

You can also check on this link for tax table for working holiday makers.

I hope this helps. Contact us again if have questions or concerns. We are happy to help. 

Kind Regards, 

Cel

9 Replies

Celia_B
    MYOB Moderator

Hi GriffAdmin,

Thank you for your post. Regarding your concern, When the previous employer reported through STP, it will continue with the ATO when transfer. We do recommend speaking with your accountant if you need to record income from your previous employer. You can check out this Help Article: Working holiday makers, has a detailed information. 

Feel free to post again if you have questions or concerns. We are happy to help. 

If my response has answered your enquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Kind Regards,

Cel

Celia_B
    MYOB Moderator

Hi GriffAdmin,

We hope this message finds you well. May I know if you still need assistance with this? You can contact us again or create a new post if you still have questions or concerns. We are more than happy to help.   

Kind Regards, 

Cel

GriffAdmin
      Experienced User

Sorry for my delay in replying. I only go to the office on Tuesdays so I was going to attend to this tomorrow.

I had already contacted our accountant before raising this question and he suggested that, as a workaround, I find out how much the employee had earned from his previous employer and I enter that in the history section of MYOB. I raised the question in the hope that you had a more defined procedure, rather than a workaround. 

Celia_B
        MYOB Moderator

Hi GriffAdmin,

Thank you for getting back to us and providing an update. The working Holiday Makers tax table looks at the pay history of the employee to determine the gross amount paid and uses that in the calculation.

To assign a Working Holiday tax table;

• Go to the Card file command centre and click Card List. 
        • Click the employee tab
        • Click the zoom arrow to open the employee's card
        • Click the Payroll details tab 
        • Click Taxes tab 
        • Enter the employee Tax File Number. If they do not have one, they can apply for one and provide it to you. See this ATO information for all details. If the employee has not provided their TFN, depending on the reason you can use one of these TFNs provided the ATO.
        • In the tax table field, choose the applicable Working Holiday Maker tax table. If you're not sure which one to choose, check with the ATO. 
        • for the Income Type, choose Working holiday maker and choose the employee's country of origin 
        • Click OK. 

You can also check on this link for tax table for working holiday makers.

I hope this helps. Contact us again if have questions or concerns. We are happy to help. 

Kind Regards, 

Cel