Forum Discussion

Diana7
User
24 days ago
Solved

Owners Personal Expenses

Hi 

Can someone please tell me if an owner uses his business account for all personal payments. How do you allocate this? Accountant said it should all be consultancy fees. I just need to know what I need to setup in MYOB to record these drawings.

• Hi Diana7,

Thanks for your response.

It's great to hear that you've already had a discussion with the accountant about this matter! Distinguishing between business and personal expenses is crucial for accurate financial reporting, especially when it comes to filing your BAS.

Understanding what falls under business and personal categories is a big step, and now it's all about implementing the right setup in MYOB to reflect that distinction. I'll share some related inquiries from the Community Forum posts that I've checked, which should offer you some helpful guidance:

Additionally, you may also find this Help article, Expenses for Business and Private Use, which may provide guidance. However, it is always recommended to speak with your accountant.

Feel free to create a new post again if you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

7 Replies

Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Diana7,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community Forum! In this type of scenario, we recommend reaching out to an accountant for an accurate solution. However, for a general idea, you can set up a bank account (1-XXXX) called Owners Funds/Personal Funds and pay those expenses to that account. Then, at the end of the month or quarter, you can do a journal entry to transfer the balance of that account to the equity account. For any purchases or withdrawals from the business account, simply code them to your equity account.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help! 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
    Earl

Diana7
        User

Actually one other question. The previous person doing the accounts, was adding GST to drawings which the accountant said was a way of paying personal tax. If I was to set up as per your suggestion would this still work? Thank you