Forum Discussion

TheRob
Experienced User
4 years ago
Solved

Spit a pay into categories

I have been asked to separate our business into two divisionss, repairs and construction, and plan to use categories to achieve this.  For the most part that should be straightforward.  However we have one employee who works some days each division so i need to work out how to split his pay.

We use timesheets to manage overtime and allowances but i don't think timesheet entry accommodates categories and it looks like i can only allocate his entire weekly pay to one category or the other.

Is there a way to journal the split or what other alternative do i have? I use jobs for another use so I'd rather keep categories for division splitting

• Hi TheRob 

Categories in AccountRight are added on a per transactional basis, with only one category allowed to be added to the one transaction. This is unlike jobs, which are transactional line basis thus allowing multiple jobs to be allocated to the one transaction (or with payroll to a transactional line).

As the Category function only allows one category per payroll transaction you would not be able to split a pay between multiple categories naturally. The only way to do it through the Payroll module would be to process one pay associated with the one category and then process a second pay for the employee with the second category.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi TheRob 

Categories in AccountRight are added on a per transactional basis, with only one category allowed to be added to the one transaction. This is unlike jobs, which are transactional line basis thus allowing multiple jobs to be allocated to the one transaction (or with payroll to a transactional line).

As the Category function only allows one category per payroll transaction you would not be able to split a pay between multiple categories naturally. The only way to do it through the Payroll module would be to process one pay associated with the one category and then process a second pay for the employee with the second category.

TheRob
      Experienced User

Hi Steven_M 

Thanks for your colarification. I thought of doing as you suggeted, namely

process one pay associated with the one category and then process a second pay for the employee with the second category.

however, am I correct in understanding that I would need to manually manage the PAYG tax as MYOB won't add the two gross pays together to correctly calculate the tax?

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi TheRob 

PAYG is calculated on a per pay basis. As a result, if you are using multiple pays to represent one real-life pay, consideration needs to be factored into account with regards to PAYG as well as deductions and superannuation categories. These values may need to be manually overtyped to give you the desired amount for the full period, as they may be set to calculate on a per pay basis.