Forum Discussion

brill
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago

Superannuation calculated incorrecty

I have casual staff and  just discovered that MYOB is is not calculating their superannuation on their gross pay. I have it as calculate 10% of gross pay but it is calculating it on their base pay. Their pay is entered as a base rate plus holiday leave loading. Example 12 hrs as base rate of X plus 12 hrs holiday leave loading at Y. Gross comes out to X + Y.  But super is only being calculated on X. Why is this and how do I fix it. And how do I fix previous months.

I would never had known if I hadn't been late paying this quarter and have to fill in a Superannuation Guarantee Charge Statement.  I haven't looked at PAYG. Hope it is not happening there as well.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi brill 

Superannuation is calculated based on the calculation basis set on the superannuation category. This can be reviewed by Payroll>>Payroll Categories>>Superannuation>>Select the desired superannuation category>>Calculation basis.

If you are needing that calculation to include multiple wage categories you would typically set that category to be Equals x Percentage of Gross Wages. In doing that you would have the Exempt button become available. This is where you can select to exempt wage categories from being included - a tick will mark that category as being exempt, no tick means it would be included.

So in your case, you want to navigate to that superannuation category, ensure that the category is set to be Equals x percentage of Gross Wages and that you have the Holiday Leave Loading category NOT ticked in the Exempt window.

In terms of correcting past payroll transactions, I would recommend checking out the Help Article: Checking and adjusting superannuation. In short, if you have another pay to record in the month then it would be fine as it would typically do an adjustment to cater for that extra month. For past months, you would be looking at making an adjustment pay in that month to add in that extra superannuation accrual amount.

brill
      Experienced Cover User

I am still having trouble. The loading category is unticked but myob is still not including the loading in super calculations.

I have set it at 10% of gross wages. Gross wages is including the loading.

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi brill 

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

How did you get on with this one? Did you get it to correctly calculate for that month? I assume as we are now in a new month it has been calculated correctly? If not, check the limit of the superannuation category is set the same as that calculation basis or no limit.