Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Invoice received by customer had wrong information

Hi,

Today I received a concerned email from a customer in regards to an invoice they received from me.

They took a screenshot of it and I have attached it for your records. It was on our template, but was to a customer in Wellington New Zealand from 2013, was for significantly more that the $165.00 they owed us and was paid in full. I have also attached a copy of their actual invoice that I have since emailed them from outside of MYOB.

I am very concerned about this happening, and it has made me doubt the security and accuracy of MYOB. 

Please can someone explain to me how this has happened, and what reassurances are there that this won't happen again?

Kind regards

Shelley Jessup

Carrick Speedway

69 Replies

• I have had the exact thing happen today as well.   

My client asked for an Invoice to be generated and sent to a particular customer, and even though the Invoice was created correctly, what MYOB had sent to the customer, was an Invoice on my clients Invoice template for goods that my client doesn't even sell, and the Invoice was showing a completely different customer, that doesn't even exist in my clients database.   The Invoice that MYOB had sent was dated 23/03/2020, whereas, what should have been the correct invoice was dated today being the 1st May 2023.

My client uses MYOB Essentials

Due to this obvious breach in MYOB, I had my client seriously doubting our Accounting Service, and I now have the potential of losing this valued Client, for something that we were not responsible for.

MYOB needs to explain how this can occur, inside a supposedly secure database.

With all the other issues I have had with MYOB recently, perhaps I should be recommending to my clients to go with other Accounting packages.

rorkin
      Experienced User

It's a case of an accounting software company that won't hold itself accountable! 

Absolutely take your business elsewhere.

My investigations have indicated that this has happened many times over for a long time now, and MYOB brushes off the problem each time with no consideration of the fact that they are sharing around other people's "private" data. 

PennyN
        Experienced Cover User

Don't worry about that rorkin ! I'm gradually converting all my clients over to Xero, so sick of the trouble MYOB is giving my clients & the lack of support.

• HI Carrick1 

Sorry to hear that no one has offered assistance with your query

If you are finding something unusual on your invoices such as incorrect amounts or contact information for the customer, it is recommended that you do review the invoice and company information in your MYOB Business to ensure that the details are correct.

Should that information be correct, we would love for you to get in touch with our phone-based teams to discuss the situation in more detail as soon as possible. Do ensure that you have the following information handy prior to calling:

• The serial number of the MYOB Business (bottom of the Business Name Menu - top right).
    • A copy of the invoice that was sent
    • A screenshot of the transaction from within your MYOB Business
    • When the email was sent and the recipient(s) of that email

With this information, our frontline teams would be able to closely investigate the email records with our backend teams to see what has occurred.

CatherineCE
      Experienced Cover User

Hi,

One of my bookkeeping clients has just had a very similar experience to the above example.

She invoiced a customer and sent them the invoice from within MYOB. When they paid a completely different amount from what she'd invoiced, she rang them to find out why. They said they'd paid the amount on the invoice and sent her a copy of it.

What they had received, "Powered by MYOB", was on her invoice template but billed to a completely unknown business, not a customer of my client. The company ABN and address were for some business in South Australia, not the ABN and business address of my client. Although the document name had the right invoice number, it showed a completely different number on the invoice, it was dated 18-Oct-2021 instead of 3-Jun-2022, and the amount owing was wrong.

Basically, somewhere along the way, when she emailed out her invoice, the data from another MYOB customer in Adelaide got entered onto her invoice template and sent to her customer in Victoria.

I logged in to her account from my office, checked the invoice in question, sent it to myself and it arrived with no mistakes.

However, this is VERY concerning because it means my client can't trust MYOB's inbuilt email system when she wants to invoice her customers. If she has to save each invoice onto her computer and then email them separately to her customers it will involve a whole lot more work and it's not what she's paying for with her expensive MYOB subscription.

Obviously it's some kind of glitch in MYOB somewhere because it's happened with other MYOB users, as the above post shows. 

What do you suggest we do to sort this problem out?

I'm not that keen to call MYOB because I don't have three hours to spend listening to your execrable on-hold music before talking to a person in a South African call centre that has zero knowledge of MYOB. I'd prefer it if someone could contact me or my client directly.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Catherine

Gothams
      User

I have exactly the same issue. I sent an invoice to a client directly from MYOB online. The invoice recieved was on our template but had the wrong company information, an unknow invoice number and dollar amount.

The company in the "Bill To:" section is not even in our Contacts list. 

The date of the invoice is the 14/11/2016 which is way before we starting using MYOB Business. 

Very embarrasing for our company. 

• Hi mate,

I'm currently having the same issue now. Did you find out the problem and rectify yet? If so could you tell me how?

Cheers

Adrian

rorkin
      Experienced User

no fix, and no guarnatee it won;t happen again. 

I've complained to MYOB (and the ACCC as well), and nothing came of it. 

I feel like it's a horrible data security issue... 

ALl you can do is send a copy of the invoice (via email), and wipe the egg from your face.

• Sucks to hear. Sounds like I should move to Xero or Quickbooks.

Thanks for the promt reply.

Adrian

• Did you ever receive an answer for this error as we just had the same thing happen to us and is 2 years after your incorrect invoice details sent to client.  Ours also had our letterhead details but the customer and address were not ours and is not a client on our account list either.  Was a high amount that also had that it had already been paid.  Sent in Jan 24 but the invoice date was 1/3/23.  The invoice number was completely wrong too.  MYOB advised was my computer and cookies stored.  Tried to point out that the invoices are e-mailed through their system so cannot be my computer as the invoice on our MYOB file is correct and has happened on thier end when invoiced to our client.

PennyN
      Experienced Cover User

Hi,

No, radio silence frm MYOB - I've just been gradually transferring clients over to Xero, so sick of MYOB's problems & lack of support