backup retrieval

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
daniel116
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

backup retrieval

we are now in the cloud. Apparantly the "cloud" only stores 5 years of information.

We used to do backups regularly particularly end of year.

Now I am finding I can not retrieve them 

any suggestion s

8 REPLIES 8
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: backup retrieval

Hi @daniel116 

AccountRight company information should be stored for the lifetime of that file.

In older versions, AccountRight Classic v19, you could purge out information which may be why your company file is stopped at a certain period. If the data has been purged then you would be looking at restoring a backup prior to that purging. You can restore a backup via File>>Restore. 

Please note: MYOB server backups are restored for ~180 days. Outside of that timeframe, it would be up to the user to maintain that copy of the data. for their own records.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

daniel116
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Re: On hold for 1.41 hours!

the backup retrieve does not work 

that is why i have tried contacting technical support 

When we try it asks for a password for 'administrator" but that is not our login 

we do not hav password for the 'administrator"

daniel116
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

surely some form of compensation should be given 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @daniel116 

The following post I cannot upload my MYOB file online has the necessary information you do require.

In short, try the default username and password i.e. Administrator and no password. If that doesn't give you access and the password is not guessed or remembered then it would need to come in for Password recovery.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

daniel116
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

we have already tried logging in with the administrator with no password and it does not work.

I am unsure what you mean to "come in" to do a password recovery 

Given that i am paying for maintenance it is totally unfair to expect payment for something like this given that you have changed the system and in the past it always worked 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @daniel116 

MYOB doesn't store the company file passwords for any company file. As a result, if that Administrator username password is not known for a file it would need to be sent in for our team to arrange for the password in the company file removed.  We have users upload the file that they need the password removed on to a secure FTP account, our teams will retrieve that file and then work on the file before uploading it back to that server for you to obtain - full instructions are provided when we arrange for that service.

The Data File Repair services are not covered by the AccountRight subscription costs and are in addition to those charges. These charges are outlined on the linked website in my previous post. However, users with an active subscription do receive a discounted price.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

daniel116
Experienced User
10 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

10Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

I understand that 

when we started MYOB we set administrator up.

We then set me up as the administrator giving me all access to the files.

When I try to do file retrieval I can not change the user id to daniel instead it stays as administrator .

I know my password - which should be the same as the administrator.

However in your updates you obviously changed the format and hence we have a problem.

I am unsure why as a subscription this should not be covered. No where when i signed up[ and I have been a user for nearly 20 years have I been informed that there additional costs.

More impotantly given that I have now been on hold for 7 hours today alone this should be done at no cost .

very hard to do work when I have to sit by the phone.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: backup retrieval

Hi @daniel116 

The restored backup file is a snapshot of the file at the time of taking the backup. As such, the password that it would be asking for would be the one that was stored at the time of taking the backup in that file originally (i.e. if it was a 5-year-old backup file it would be the password from 5 years ago). 

From a product point of view, there was a change in the software 5 years ago in relation to passwords. If the password was longer than 12 characters it would have been stored truncated and thus would be the one that needs to be entered. For example, if the password was set as "12345678901234567" you would only need to enter "12345678901".

Other than that we would be looking at paid password removal as outlined earlier on this thread if you are not able to get passed that company file sign-on window. Do let us know if you would like us to start that process for you.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post