Allocating transactions

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
sammy89
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Allocating transactions

Hey there, 

Im very new to this and hoing someone can help me. Currently in a partnership 50/50. When allocating transcations, can someone tell me the diffrence between expense and liability? I undertand that expense is something that is money spent on the business - hence epense, but I dont understand what liability is. For example - "Drawing - Liability" for an allocation.  

1 REPLY 1
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Allocating transactions

Hi @sammy89 

Thanks for your post. A liability is money owed by your business, this is things like loans, credit cards, accounts payable, GST, superannuation, PAYG, or anything the business has to pay. When a liability is paid the payment transaction is posted to the liability account, thus reducing the amount owed by the business.

Using supplier invoices as an example:

1. when you record the Bill transaction the accounts payable liability account is credited and the selected expense/cost of sale account is debited. This increases the expense/cost of sales account and increases the liability account.
  2. when you record the Payment transaction the accounts payable liability account is debited which reduces the liability owed by the business. The bank account is credited which appears as a withdrawal for matching with the actual payment on the bank statement.

Cost of sales are the direct costs of providing your goods or services, eg materials, stock. Expenses are the running costs of the business, eg, accounting fees, subscriptions, internet, payroll.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post