Customer Pays Invoice Twice

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
pmc17
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Customer Pays Invoice Twice

I am using MYOB Business.  One of our customers accidentally paid their invoice twice.  The second payment being made by them a few days later. The second payment was refunded to them by paying it back into their bank account and this has come through the bank feeds.

I have followed MYOB's instructions regarding how to Create A Customer Return, and then Processing A Customer Return.  In the bank feeds, I allocated the payment I made to their account, to the Customer Credit, however in my Bank Feeds, I am still left with the second payment from the customer requiring allocation. 

Can you please advise where this is to be allocated to as the instructions don't mention this. 

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: Customer Pays Invoice Twice

Hi @pmc17 

I think you have jumped the gun a bit and need to unwind a bit. Ideally, you want to use the below process which will apply the second payment which, in turn, will produce the credit.

Note the above process assumes you have already entered the first customer payment

1. Navigate to Sales>>Create invoice payment
  2. Select the Customer
  3. Select Show closed invoices
  4. Enter payment information as normal
  5. Select Save 
    This will generate a customer debit which can be found in Sales>>Customer returns
  6. Navigate to Sales>>Customer returns
  7. Select Refund
  8. Ensure the information is correct
  9. Select Record

What the above process will do is generate two bank transactions (this is in addition to the one already created for the first payment). You will have a deposit to the bank account which can be matched to the second customer payment and a withdrawal which is the refund to the customer.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

pmc17
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

I think you need to check MYOB's instructions which they provide for us customers yourself before telling me I need to unwind.  I don't know why you assumed I was 'wound up'.  I just stated my issue and that I had tried following MYOB's help instructions online.  This was a very unhelpful, unprofessional comment to come from a MYOB moderator.

These are the instructions that MYOB puts on their website so if they are not correct, then that needs to be addressed - https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/myob/Customer+overpayments - note second Key Point

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @pmc17 

Apologies, if you felt that but I think our wires have been crossed. I meant unwind in the term of undoing what has already been done with regard to those transactions. Not that you personally were wound up by it. Hopefully, that makes my previous comment a little clearer.

With regards to the Help Article, I'll pass that feedback on to the team on your behalf.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

pmc17
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

As I said, I was only following MYOB's online help info, so I did not appreciate your whole opening comment that I had 'jumped the gun' and 'needed to unwind a bit'.  For what it's worth, perhaps choose more professional wording in the future for customers who are just trying to work things out themselves with the help info MYOB provides.  I don't know why your solution should be different to what MYOB puts on their website when you're supposedly one and the same company?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @pmc17 

Thanks for the additional feedback

Our teams have updated the Help Article to provide a better overview of dealing with that situation. 

Do let us know if you require further assistance on recording that duplicate customer payment situation.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post