Forum Discussion

2 months ago

Serious concern regarding unallocating payments from Sales Invoicesc

When unallocating a customer payment in MYOB via the Bank transactions feed (for example if the payment was misallocated automatically, or allocated to the wrong invoice) - this does not delete the Customer Payment transaction against that invoice which was created when the allocation was made.

Unless the Customer Payment transaction is manually deleted, the invoice to which that payment was wrongly allocated to will still appear to have been paid... and (as far as I can tell) there's no easy way of checking which Customer Payment transactions are or are not linked to actual received payments from the Bank transactions feed.

If you don't know that this happens, you could end up with a whole bunch of invoices which *appear* to be paid, but actually aren't.

This strikes me as a serious problem.

3 Replies

Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi KTWilliams

Welcome to the Community Forum. 

I apologize for the delay in response. I understand your concerns regarding the payment process within the application. When customers access the payment screen directly from the invoice, the system typically marks the invoice as paid upon receipt of the payment.

For matching bank feeds, you can utilize the Online Invoice Payments Transaction Details report. This report will help you identify which bank feed contains the correct invoices for matching.

If you need further assistance or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Thanks,
    Genreve

KTWilliams
      User

Hi Genreve,

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately this doesn't address the problem I'm actually having - which is nothing whatsoever to do with receiving online payments.

I will try to explain again:

1) When a received payment (deposit) in the Bank Transactions feed is allocated to a Sales Invoice, it creates a Customer Payment Transaction against that invoice (eg CP003546).

2) If that received payment is then UNallocated via the Bank Transactions feed (eg such as you would do if that payment was misallocated automatically by MYOB or through human error),  the payment in the Bank Transactions feed shows as being unallocated, as you would expect. However…

3) Unallocating the payment via the Bank Transactions feed does NOT delete the Customer Payment transaction against that invoice which was created when the allocation was originally made.

4) The continued existence of this Customer Payment transaction means that the invoice that the payment was originally allocated to continues to show as being paid - even though there’s no ACTUAL payment behind it.

5) Is there a way to check whether each Customer Payment transaction is connected to a REAL payment (deposit) in the Bank Transaction feed - or if it is just an artefact left behind from unallocating a payment?

This is what we need to be able to do, in order to check for errors caused by the above. Otherwise, the issue could mean that we think we’ve been paid for invoices in the system (because they APPEAR to be paid), when we actually haven’t.  

Princess_R
        MYOB Moderator

Hi @KTWilliams,

Thanks for your response. It seems that we may have misunderstood the core issue you're encountering. Let's work this out together.

If you're finding that bank feed transactions are being erroneously matched to incorrect invoices, there's a simple solution available. You can navigate to Banking >> Bank Rules >> and then disable the option to automatically match bank transactions to MYOB bills and invoices. Additionally, a quick system refresh can sometimes help alleviate such issues by toggling this function off and then back on.

In the process of matching a bank feed transaction with an open sale invoice, the software automatically generates a Create Customer Payment transaction. This action applies the payment to the corresponding invoice, which is then reflected in the bank feed and reconciled against actual bank transactions.  Invoices are initially posted to Accounts Receivable, and the payment is subsequently applied to the invoice upon recording the payment transaction.

In your specific situation, if a bank transaction has been mistakenly matched to an open sale invoice, you'll need to unmatched the bank transaction. When this occurs, the payment transaction associated with the invoice is automatically removed. If this doesn't happen, you'll need to manually delete the payment transaction against the invoice. At the moment, there isn't an option available to differentiate between customer payment transactions linked to genuine payments.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers,

Princess