Forum Discussion

Loaders2810
Contributing User
20 days ago

PAYROLL ERROR - CMN.ATO.PAYEVNTEMP.000282

Since re-hiring a employee (since the beginning on this year) the payrolls have been 'processed with errors' due to the following error:

Cessation date cannot be before the Commencement Date

(ATO error code: CMN.ATO.PAYEVNTEMP.000282)

This error was not here a few weeks back, only noted since the a recent update on the software. 

This employee was employed by us on a full time basis up until 30th June 2022, which a termination date was recorded and lodged as per current STP requirements. We have since re hired this employee on a casual based from the 30th January 2024. When he recommenced we reactivated his employee record on MYOB and added the new start date, removed the termination date on the employment profice and the employment type as temporary - casual. The only thing still showing his original termination date is the STP reporting page, under terminations. 

I have read a few previous posts on the MYOB community page etc. where people have simply deleted the original termination details on the STP reporting page, however they have also noted that the gap in time from rehiring is less than 3 months.

Can someone advise what they feel I should do? If i delete the original termination date (greater than 12 months not employed by us and a different role all together) will it cause me more drama down the track? I can not create a second employee record for them, as the TFN is still the same as is all his other details.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Loaders2810

That error pops up when the termination date is before the start date on the employee's card. If you've rehired someone, you might need to adjust the start date to the original one, not the rehired one. However, I would recommend not deleting the original termination date, as it might cause issues later. You could create a new employee record with the same TFN and details. This keeps the original employment history and lets you manage the new employment separately. See this helpful article about reinstating employees for more detailed information. Remember that it's always good to chat with your payroll advisor or the ATO for the best action in your situation. Let me know if you need more help!

Kind regards,

Shella

Loaders2810
      Contributing User

Hi Shella

Thank you for your reply. 

I understand why the error is appearing, and have gone over the information available in reinstating an employee several times. I can confirm that we followed these steps when they recommenced. And the advice is relevant to the reinstating falling in the  same financial year as the termination. 

if I was to go back to the original start date, and keep the termination date from earlier employment, will that not consequently make him inactive. 

I have spoken with my accountant and they advise that I need to work with MyOb to rectify this. 

if I create a new employee card won’t I have to redo all payrolls that this employee falls in to capture the earnings against the correct profile? 

I have asked the ATO and they also tell me to speak with our software provider.