Forum Discussion

TrudiMBBSH
Trusted Cover User
16 days ago

Returned Superannuation

I have had troubles with one employee and his Super payments being returned.

The first time it happened was for the June payment, all the other six went through fine including one to the same Super company and with a similar Asian name that had a hyphen in the name (Kai - Ti and Tzu - Hsin). Tzu's worked perfectly from the off but Kai - Ti's was returned.

Cue frustrating dealings with Colonial First State Super who would not look at it to tell me if I had some minute detail incorrect.  Kai - Ti rang them and discovered that the previous employer had put in the wrong DOB and his surname was spelt with an 'e' where it should have been an 'a'.

We waited a full month for them to fix these details, so that his Employee Card which was filled by him completing the Self Onboarding for me when he started, matched his Super membership.

I had processed the Returned Superannuation and paid him for June and July on 29 August 2024. I thought it would all be fine then but the June/July contribution has now been returned as well.

The only thing I note having read and reread the instructions for:

Recording a Pay to reprocess the Super is this

"Before reprocessing any super payments, fix whatever it was that caused the contribution to be returned. This might mean updating employee details or updating super fund details."

I did do that step BEFORE I had his details updated?  Is that what the problems is?

I recorded the pay to reprocess the Super the same day that I did the Record the Returned Super and the step to Record a Pay to Reverse the Super?

Perhaps the proof will be that the last Super Contribution for August may go through and not be returned because the Employees details were updated before I did that one.  I don't know, I didn't know that the order would have that effect.  

Does anyone have experience with this?

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi TrudiMBBSH,

I'm sure you've had quite a journey with these returned superannuation payments. From what you've shared, it seems the issue might be due to the timing of the updates. It's really important to make sure all employee details are correct before reprocessing the returned super payments. Also, double-check that the updates were fully processed and there are no lingering errors. If the August super payments go through without any problems, it could mean that the super clearing house has the updated employee details. But if the payments get rejected and returned again, please let us know, or you can reach out directly to our Pay Super team at paysuper@myob.com for more help.

Feel free to get in touch if there's anything else I can assist you with.

Cheers,

Princess

TrudiMBBSH
      Trusted Cover User

How do I double check that the updates are fully processed?

Doreen_P
        MYOB Moderator

Hey TrudiMBBSH,

To make sure that the updates were fully processed, you can check if the super payments no longer return to your bank account. In addition, you can check if the employee card file details are updated. Here's how you can check the employee card file:

• Go to Payroll.
        • Click on Employees.
        • Select the employee name.
        • Click on Payroll details tab.

Best regards,

Doreen

TrudiMBBSH
    Trusted Cover User

OK, thank you.  I am watching with interest to see if the August payment goes through or is returned.  The third reading of the instructions was the charm because I remember the order I did it in before and know that I did the recording of the pay to reprocess the super BEFORE Kai - Ti had received confirmation that the details had been corrected, also before he had completed the Request for Details to complete the Superannuation details again and hopefully correctly.  So, now I will wait and see what happens with the August payment.  I need to learn to read more carefully and I could reduce my work, haha.  Been a lot going on this winter with my mother passing away and life being a bit overwhelming.  Onwards, we will wait and see.

• The issue may stem from reprocessing the super payments before Kai-Ti’s updated details were finalized with the super fund. Since you recorded and reprocessed the June/July payments on the same day the returned super was recorded, it’s possible that the old, incorrect details were still in place at that time. The August contribution might go through if the correct details were applied before that payment, but for past contributions, you may need to reprocess them again now that the correct details are confirmed. Checking with the super fund to ensure everything is updated before resubmitting would be wise.

TrudiMBBSH
      Trusted Cover User

OK, thank you.  Having reread the instructions I suspect the same.  

Checking with the Super Fund is getting me nowhere because they refuse to tell me anything!  Even something as simple as "Yes the details are now correct and your August contribution is accepted."

I will just have to sit on the June/July contribution until a couple of weeks have gone by and I know it has been accepted OR until I see it get returned to my bank account AGAIN.

It is amazing to me that they won't just say yes or no to a simple question like "Have I got these details correct?"

They just say, "You will have to get the employee to talk to us, is he there?" That question is asked after probably the third time I have said that he was a seasonal worker and he now has finished up and gone a week ago.  One thing I know is they don't appear to actually listen to what you are saying and just prefer to spew their standard dialogue at me.

TrudiMBBSH
      Trusted Cover User

Sadly, the payment was returned again!  I have spoken to the employee and he has joined my default fund because I can't seem to make the payment work with the one he was with.  I don't understand why and they won't help or discuss what the problem could be.  I have now done one payment into my default fund AFTER I made sure the new details were entered and saved and I left it for 24 hours before I reprocessed the JUN/JUL contributions.  I have checked the details on my default fund as well to be sure that they match what he put in when he completed the Request for Details via Employee Self Onboarding.  We will see I guess.