Forum Discussion

TomD
Trusted Cover User
12 days ago
Solved

STP Termination to ATO prematurely

I have done the final pays for 2024 and was trying to tie up some loose ends including termination staff that left earlier in MYOB (making them inactive) as well as reporting them as terminated to the ATO via Employee terminations.  

I was planning to do the final EOFY finalisation later this week. 

Having reported some of those employees as terminated, I included one staff - Casual and had previously looked up his last date as 3/2/23. Some of the casuals I don't necessarily report each year as terminated if there is a chance they come back. Unfortunately in this case I subsequently realised that he indeed worked two more fortnights in July 23, falling into this financial year. So expecting a problem with him being terminated in 2023 but being paid in 2024, I activated his card, processed a Zero Payroll, hoping this would update MYOB and allow me to then terminate him with the correct date in 18/07 23.  Unfortunately I am unable to undo this in STP Employee terminations and only
get an error message that something went wrong and some request ID.

I am not sure if the error message is from the ATO or MYOB but either way I am not sure how to contact them or how to fix this issue.

Bottom line is that our Payroll Activity Reports etc all were correct and matched, so I was ready to finalise except that I am now concerned that the incorrect termination prior to this financial year being ruled off will cause issues.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Tom

• Hi TomD

Clearly, you're having trouble with a premature termination report to the ATO and an error message. This might be due to the termination date being earlier than the start date or an incorrect termination reason. Here's a quick guide to fixing this:

• Go to the STP reporting center (Payroll command center > Payroll Reporting > Payroll Reporting Center) and sign in if needed.
    • If you've finalized the terminated employee, undo it: Click the EOFY finalization tab > choose Payroll year > select employee > click Remove finalization and notify the ATO > enter your details > click Send.
    • Undo the employee's termination: Click the Employee Terminations tab, choose Payroll Year, click Undo, enter your details, and click Send.
    • Redo the termination: Click Add termination > enter details (including termination reason) > click Notify the ATO > enter your details > click Send.
    • If you removed the employee's finalization at step 3, re-finalize them: Click the EOFY finalization tab > choose payroll year > select employee > click finalize and notify the ATO > enter your details > click send.

Make sure the termination date is after the start date and the termination reason is correct. You can also check out this helpful article on how to fix rejected reports in STP to learn more. Let me know if you have other queries!

Kind regards,

Shella

1 Reply

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi TomD

Clearly, you're having trouble with a premature termination report to the ATO and an error message. This might be due to the termination date being earlier than the start date or an incorrect termination reason. Here's a quick guide to fixing this:

• Go to the STP reporting center (Payroll command center > Payroll Reporting > Payroll Reporting Center) and sign in if needed.
    • If you've finalized the terminated employee, undo it: Click the EOFY finalization tab > choose Payroll year > select employee > click Remove finalization and notify the ATO > enter your details > click Send.
    • Undo the employee's termination: Click the Employee Terminations tab, choose Payroll Year, click Undo, enter your details, and click Send.
    • Redo the termination: Click Add termination > enter details (including termination reason) > click Notify the ATO > enter your details > click Send.
    • If you removed the employee's finalization at step 3, re-finalize them: Click the EOFY finalization tab > choose payroll year > select employee > click finalize and notify the ATO > enter your details > click send.

Make sure the termination date is after the start date and the termination reason is correct. You can also check out this helpful article on how to fix rejected reports in STP to learn more. Let me know if you have other queries!

Kind regards,

Shella