8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

import file error 10 - invalid date

Hi All,

I read the instructions and firstly exported a timesheet file, and more or less copies the headings, and also the data as it was in the export, to create a new template for our employees to use.  It tells me the import was successful, but when I look at the activity log there is nothing there.  When i open up the file, it mentions error 10 - invalid date, but I copied the date format from the exported file i.e. 14/11/2023.  Can someone explain what is happening here.  Thanks in advance for your help

9 REPLIES 9
Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,908 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,908Posts

90Kudos

387Solutions

Re: import file error 10 - invalid date

Hi @Mortisha

Thanks for posting your concern in the forum. 

I understand how important importing is for your use case. Generally, this error appears because of formatting issues with the import file. In my understanding, the import file dates should be formatted in XX/YY/ZZZZ (X for the date, Y for the month, and Z for the year). I suggest opening the import file to check the date information and make sure the format is correct. If this does not fix the issue, feel free to attach a copy of the import file.

Let us know if you require any further assistance with this. We're happy to help. 

Thanks,

Genreve

CropServ
Experienced Cover User
47 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

47Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Hi Genreve

I am having a similar issue and hope you don't mind me adding to this post.

Firstly, I cannot import a CSV file, have had to save the CSV file as a TXT file to import - AccountRight would not list the Fields to Match when a CSV file was selected.

I am importing changes made to a file that was exported from MYOB.

Have Error -10 Invalid date. Have opened the CSV file amended the date format to dd/mm/yyyy (it was on d/mm/yyy), then resaved the CSV file, but it still does not accept the date.

Have attached both the TXT file and CSV file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michaela

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Hi @CropServ 

2 suggestions.

Don't use any formatting in excel, $2,000 will be imported as "$2,000" (open txt file in notepad) and will cause an error. Use 2000 instead.

Don't use automatch, manually map each column. As for date format, per MYOB moderators, MYOB requires the format as per your regional settings.

Also helps to attach your importlog file, this can show which transaction caused the error.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
CropServ
Experienced Cover User
47 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

47Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks again Gavin.

There are still some issues with importing.

- Under Format, If data you are importing already exists in this company file: Options are Add the import data OR Reject the import data. There is no update existing record. I know there used to be as I do a bulk export and import to archive the year's job numbers. Using this current system, how do you update existing records in bulk?

- Importing Purchase Items. Where we have single line/item bills where the supplier is not registered for GST (GNR), myob is not recognising the item as being bought, but where the supplier is GST registered it will import. The Item set up seems to be the same, except for the GST nomination.

- For some reason one line of the import document doesn't seem to update the format of the amount to number, even though the formatting has been changed, same as the other data.

Have attached relevant files in case this helps.

Hoping you are able to assist again.

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Hi @CropServ 

The option to update existing does not apply to transactions. Only to permanent elements in the file was as cards, items, accounts etc.

Here is the solution to most importing issues in MYOB. Manually enter this item purchase invoice into MYOB, use a date which does not have many transactions. Next export the Purchase > Item.  Delete the original manual transaction. Import the exported file without opening it. It import succeeds, then the problem is with formatting on your test imports, if it fails, then likely to be a bug in MYOB.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
CropServ
Experienced Cover User
47 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

47Posts

2Kudos

1Solutions

Thanks Gavin.

The import did work eventually.

The first time there were error warnings for the amounts having $ symbol and duplicate supplier number (which is to be expected).

The 2nd time I imported the amounts did not have the $ symbol and the only warning was duplicate supplier number, and all data appears to have imported. This is strange as I did not make changes to the format of this file.

In between the 1st and 2nd attempt I opened the file but did not make any changes to that file.

I renamed the file after changing the format of the amounts to having no symbols - keeping it as Text (Tab Deliminated). Nothing else was changed. This import did not bring in the single lined transaction that is not GST registered and had one of my suppliers as not identified.

Does opening the Text file in Excel change the formatting for importing? Updating the file to import is so much easier to do in Excel than in Text.

Appreciate your help and time with my queries. I am not sure why it is so difficult to import data, it used to be very easy and could import CSV.

Regards

Michaela

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Hi @CropServ 

I always use excel to edit import files. And yes opening an import or export file in excel can radically change things. This is because excel tries to 'guess' how you wanted the information presented. For example, unless you take precautions it will change 0001 to 1, 6-4000 to 1/06/4000 or Jun-00, $2200.00 to $2,200.00 etc. When opening a txt file you must specify certain columns to be formatted as text and not General.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,863 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,863Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @gavin12345 , my version of Excel (Office 365 (Version 2402 Build 16.0.17328.20124) 64-bit ) now prompts me to ask whether I would like it to make those kind of changes or not, so i always decline. That seems to work well. 

I also note this is 64-bit and yet exporting reports from AccountRight to Excel works perfectly well. The 32-bit Officelink limitation seems to have been overcome.  

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,015 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,015Posts

912Kudos

636Solutions

Hi @Mike_James 

Good to know that later versions of Excel take care of this.

As for 64 bit, yes numerous users have reported success with exporting to 64 bit Excel and Word. My understanding that the 32 bit issue is now more Outlook related, rather than other components of MS Office. I may be wrong, however I don't recall users reporting success with 64 bit Outlook, not unless 32 bit Outlook is also running.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post