Forum Discussion

WOT_EL
Contributing User
2 years ago
Solved

Errors when Importing Items

Hi all,

I am adding a new list of items to my system and everything is as it supposedly should be however I am receiving Error messages and it is skipping the entire import. Is there a limit on characters in the description field that could be causing my troubles?

• Hi WOT_EL 

Importing rules in MYOB are very particular. If unsure how to prepare the import file, first export existing Items and study the export file. Use this as a template for your import file. You seem to be missing a tax code when you buy and item, you will also need to specify a tax code when you sell an Item.

Regards

Gavin

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi WOT_EL 

Importing rules in MYOB are very particular. If unsure how to prepare the import file, first export existing Items and study the export file. Use this as a template for your import file. You seem to be missing a tax code when you buy and item, you will also need to specify a tax code when you sell an Item.

Regards

Gavin

WOT_EL
      Contributing User

Thanks Gavin.

All the data is in my XLSX when I am saving as a TXT file (Tab Demitted). The columns and data seems to get jumbled when I try importing.

WOT_EL
      Contributing User

I have tried to not import the columns causing the error but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Mike_James
        Ultimate Partner

Hi WOT_EL , it would be beneficial for you to follow Gavin's suggestion. Start by creating one of your items manually in your file, then export it to a text file, open that file in Excel, and add the remaining data in the appropriate columns. 

The order of fields in your text file should follow the exported layout; changes can lead to other errors.

Try adding about 10 items to start with, then import that file. Once it works, add the remaining items and do a full import. Existing items can be rejected or updated in subsequent imports.

Before you do a mass import, take a backup, so you can restore the file if the import creates a lot of incorrect data.

This help topic will tell you more about each import field - look for the Items section. For example, the item number and item name field are limited to 30 characters, but the item description field can hold 255 characters, and can be flagged (by using the next import field) to be used on invoices instead of the name.